30 - What is a mini lathe machine and how to use it
Custom Cez explains what is a lathe and them makes a part with it.
In this episode we tackle a very popular and desired tool: The lathe machine.
First we'll go through a detailed description of the parts that make a mini lathe for metalworking, from the tool post all the way to the gears, engine and cross slides.
Then we start a tutorial on the creation of a new part machining it from a piece of stock aluminum. We will be turning a gas cup for a Harley Davidson tank with a shape of a crown.
We'll push our mini lathe machine to the max in this metalworking task.
What did we do:
- detailed description of a metal mini lathe with all its parts.
- adaptation of an existing gas cup to use as a base for our ornament
- machining on the metal lathe of some stock aluminum
- fitting test
In the second part we continue the metalwork on our gas tank cup by machining the part at an angle using the rotating capability of the top slide. We'll create a tapered surface both on the outside and the inside of our piece.
The we put Polsky Rage's grinding skill to the test for the creation of the crown points to then finish up the job with a file.
What did we do:
- working the mini lathe cutting tool at an angle
- machining of an outside taper
- machining of an inside taper
- designing of the final shape right on the part
- grinding of the shape
- filing of the shape
- final touches
Tags: tutorial, how to, lathe,, mini lathe, metal lathe, turning, metalworking, machining